Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Slikha!

Bahá’ís - just like most people the world over - work hard to develop a praiseworthy character - complete with all kinds of beautiful qualities like dignity, honor, trustworthiness, generosity, kindness, honesty.... Speaking of, I'd like to talk about one of my favorite qualities - patience. You see, I pray for patience very regularly, and correspondingly God gives me opportunities to be patient. And then I get to pray for patience all.over.again!
Take this past weekend, for example. I went to ‘Akká to get my hair done by the world famous Roi (see above) on Friday afternoon, and on my way back I was cutting it a little close on the whole Shabat (Sabbath) renders my entire city (Haifa) a ghost town thing.
Plus it was (and IS!) almost a million degrees outside (don't hate the exaggerator - it's hot as here!) so I didn't feel like walking up the Mountain when I got back to the city. *There is almost always inter-city transportation, but after 4 or so - not so much intra-city transportation*.
The pictures below are what happened when I got on the wrong sherut. Why? Because after 2 years in Israel, I had my first public transportation fail.
I know - I'm surprised I made it this long, too.
So there was my friend Dayyan - ready to catch me in all of my frustrated glory....
Note the chagrin when it occurs to me (finally) that I'm not as 'ambassadorial' as I might be....
Looking around for anything willing to cart me up mountain at this point.
Mid-whinge, I'm almost positive.
My kingdom for a car!

ps. the frustration saga continued - last night, in fact. I waited over 30 minutes for a bus that never came! So not only did I miss swim practice (sigh. I know - I was really looking forward), but I had the opportunity to stand around while my sweat (not so) slowly and (very) surely soaked through my bathing suits.
...excuse me while I go pray for patience - and add detachment to the list!

1 comment:

montague said...

i remember those days...waiting in the scorching heat!

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */