Monday, August 31, 2009

Going Green(ish)...

So Israel (where I live) is facing a serious drought. As a result, we here at the Bahá’í World Centre have been asked to reconsider our water needs and to do our best to conserve water. Accordingly, we've been asked to reduce our shower time to 4 (short) minutes. I know this might seem totally doable for many of you - and it is. But it's a new 'doable' for aimee piper.
I realized this weekend though, that 4 minutes of water doesn't have to mean 4 minutes in the shower.... With me? Good. So here I am on Saturday afternoon - prepping for a potluck games night (holler!)
*I suppose, for those who don't know me, it will be useful to tell you that - as Maxi Jazz of Faithless so eloquently puts it: I have long legs like an antelope*
Anyhow, back to what was will be the first of my resource thrifty showers... I decided to multitask (I typically do this) and to turn off the water when it wasn't absolutely necessary (new to this particular game). Friends, I was like a mad woman at the supermarket sweep - don't front, you know what I'm talking about: shampoo? check. conditioner? check. wash face? check. *water off* shave legs while the conditioner sets in my hair? check.
Cut the heck out of my ankle because I was so crazy to keep going quickly - even when the water was off? Sigh. Check.
It was ugly - and it still hurts!
Lesson? Save water and other resources (like blood, skin and tears) by being careful. To quote my uncle *hey Jerry!* "I drive slow because I'm in a hurry".
Note: Spelling is another thing 'not to do in a hurry'. Drought and Draught are actually antonymns and not 2 ways to spell the same word. Thanks to Ray for the head's up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wanted to congratulate you on the brief showers! This is a stunning improvement from years past!
Mom

j'taimee said...

But MOM! I cut myself!
sigh.
I'm still trying to be fast, though :)

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */