Monday, August 3, 2009

Caution: Some Traditions May Be Changed...

Last Thursday night/Friday morning, my friend Yasmin left the Bahá’í World Centre to continue her service elsewhere - as so many of my friends have already done (and as I will do in slightly less than 2 years....)
I don't have time to tell you ALL of the remarkable things about Yasmin (pictured below) - but I can tell you that she (well... now ME) is the last of the 'original Traditional group'. Courtesy of my friend Will: What does “traditional dinner” mean?
To which I naturally replied: I know – it makes it seem like there will be a turkey involved somehow…
On the contrary
It started one night shortly after (Universal House of Justice Member) Mr. Dunbar’s class moved up the mountain (of God) – at that time Kadria & Yasmin were my neighbors & Joe was (of course) living in the Blum. So I invited them over for dinner one night before class for just a quick bite as Joe might not otherwise have time to get all the way home, eat, get back, etc – and I was just starting to really be friends with Kadria and Yasmin.
Anyhow, it was meant to be a one-off, but after dinner Yasmin proclaimed that this should be a tradition. And so it became….

Also, I had – around that time – decided to make cooking my hobby b/c I figured that if I failed I could always eat a sandwich. BUT (!!!) I really hate cooking for one – I don’t like most leftovers and I felt like I wasted too much food. So this gave me a good forum to practice my recipes, etc.
Eventually the dinners expanded (mostly b/c Joe was tired of being the only man) so the meals became less elaborate, but I got really good at putting together a dinner for 7–10 people in 30 minutes!

*and there you have a basic history of Traditional Thursday*

Okay - so this story is over - time for a new Tradition: maybe Thursday, maybe not. I have some ideas (courtesy of Yasmin) and I'll be keeping you posted. I somehow think the new ones will be better than the old (hard as it may seem to picture now).

1 comment:

N. said...

aww great pic aimes!

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */