Monday, July 12, 2010

The Good Parts Version...

So I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of The Princess Bride, the book. Amazing tale of true love and high adventure - as evidenced by the cover....
Image credit.

You may remember the water polo game (Maccabi Haifa vs. Tel Aviv) that I had the other night. Well (and I promise... only the 'good parts') there was a little, shall we say, "for your mama drama". So there was a point in the game - just before the start of the 4th quarter - that the manager of Tel Aviv's team comes over to get our names down.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that, while I'm not fluent, my Hebrew language skills are getting better every day (!!!). And I've got a fair command of the numbers by now. So I knew that the man would say a number and one of the women on my team would respond with the name of the player wearing that cap number.

He never said "achad". This means 1 in Hebrew and it's the number that all goalies wear. This is my number.

Increasingly curious as to why the guy doesn't want to know my name (um... hello! Totally part of the team, too - thanks!) I sort of - read actually - broadly announce "my name is Aimee Piper". *Please know that as I'm preparing to share what happened next, I'm already giggling*

A friend on my team - with out skipping a beat - quips "you have killed my father; prepare to die".

And that, friends, is the good part version. Carry on.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */