Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Girl vs. Wild...

On a scale of 1-10 of wilderness preparedness where Ginger of Gilligan's Island fame ranks a one...
And your girl Kate from LOST ranks a ten...
I used to think that I was somewhere around a 7.1 - I consider these figures on a richter scale like we do earthquakes (yes, I'm a Californian to my bones) where 7.2 is infinantly more prepared than even 7.1.
Friends, it turns out that I'm lucky to even rank a 3.4 on this scale of mine.
I went hiking in Yehudia again on Saturday. As per usual there were 10 of us - safety in numbers, mom! - and we fell into roughly 2 groups.
There was the alpha team (yes, they actually called themselves the A Team) and there was the 'B Team'. I was straight the weakest link. Basically the B Team were the people who would hang back to keep me company in my ineptitude. I swear, the whole trip (the 6 hour tour) it seemed as though I was determined to prove my chartable klutz factor (also figured according to a richter scale of sorts) as more than a figure of my imagination. ...not really sure why they doubted my assertions before.
I won't regale you with the bruises and cuts that now liberally criss-cross my legs, or the number of times I fell or my body simply failed to do what my mind new (thought?) it was capable of. Suffice it to say that today is the first day that I can walk without wanting to cry... which is good, because I have water polo tonight!

1 comment:

montague said...

i hear you. i wish i were more rugged than I am. I like to THINK i am.

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */