Friday, August 29, 2008

Y los Viernes Doble...

So I've been in Haifa, Israel for a little over a year now - and I have a little over a year of my service here at the Bahá'í World Centre left. Naturally, I've been thinking (a lot) about what on earth I'm going to do with myself when I leave here. As I was running with Kalila the other night (yes, I'm still running!), I was thinking about how I just want people to feel beautiful and powerful and valuable to society - as they are, not as the machinery of advertising (ahem.) suggests they make themselves in order to be these things. Specifically beautiful - probably because, as a woman, I think we're all trying to feel beautiful... and not just outwardly.

Anyhow, I've decided to have a weekly Friday post of things that I find beautiful and inspirational. The first of (hopefully) many:

I think this image is captioned perfectly. There's a magical quality here that's completely tangible. L.O.V.E.

I truly love this sketch - not least because it kind of reminds me of myself (I wear my hair that way a lot). But if you check out the artist's site (support the artist!), I think that just about anyone can find an image that they can relate to - and seeing the simplistic beauty in the sketch helps (me) to find the simplistic beauty in ourselves.

I love this photo - not least for what she's wearing (which is totally and completely inspirational to me. In fact - if you know where I can find a cloche hat like this - holler at your girl!), but I really love the attitude in her stance and expression. Even in this crowd of men, she is so simultaneously tough and feminine. Wow.

So I hope that you like my first efforts - to learn where the photos came from, click on the pictures. Have a beautiful weekend!

2 comments:

montague said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE that first photo. it's dreamy and perfect.

j'taimee said...

It IS amazing, yes?
I'm really interested in the project they have going - the photography and the conversation....
http://www.fortheloveoflight.com/about.html for more information.

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */