Wednesday, August 27, 2008

That's Why We Pray....

Sometimes I pray for patience - and God gives me opportunities to be patient.... And then the next day I have to pray for patience all.over.again. Sometimes God gives you tests and lessons you don't even ask for, though.

So, as you may know - I've recently started swimming again - and it's been almost 5 years since I've swam (swum?) competitively, or even seriously. Naturally, I'm clearly out of shape. But don't get distracted by my preemptive excuses - I'm a decent swimmer. In fact, at the pool I use (big shout out to Leobeck!), I'm consistently one of the stronger and faster swimmers. ...and I've started to get sort of hateriffic (thankfully only in my head) about having to share a lane with people I'm lapping.... *Back story: I'm trying to build my endurance, so I've set up some distance (which is totally relative) sets for myself*

Let me give you the verbatim conversation I had in the pool with my friend last night while in the middle of my set of 5x100s.

"Ugh. I've got to get off the wall before this [elderly gentleman] gets down here."

*At the 50 as I make my turn (thinking I'd lapped the guy)*
"Sorry about that sir."

*At the 100 as I come in to the wall*
"Dude. Did that guy just lap me? I thought I was so much faster than that!"
"Yeah - he starts out slow, but he keeps getting faster. I guess he just paces really well."

Sigh. Seems like God was giving me a lesson in humility.
But seriously? Old people in Israel ROCK! They're so tough! And truly the most confident, won't take attitude from anyone, survived a genocide, built a country people on the planet. It's kind of like getting to meet the pilgrims - but who are way cooler and more hard core.

2 comments:

montague said...

oh my aimee, that's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

ditto to aimee... reminds me of when i sprained my ankle and had a hard time with the stairs... and lo and behold i saw all these elderly folk passing me by, despite their seemingly old, achey, and worn-out bodies. needless to say i no longer pitied my situation. gotta love israel! and good on ya for getting back in the pool!

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */