Monday, February 15, 2010

Putting Things in Perspective...

Bahá’ís all over the world will soon be fasting... for 19 days my life will seemingly revolve around the rise and fall and rise of the sun. But first there is a period known as Ayyám-í-Há. A time of reflection, of service, preparation and joy.
I hope it's not cheating, but I'm starting a little early this year. Well, with the reflection bit anyhow. For 19 short days I will abstain from eating or drinking during the hours the sun is up. So I limit myself to two meals per day instead of my usual (...okay 5. I eat 5 small meals a day). But it always strikes me that this still represents more food than many people see each day - I'm never uncomfortable nor do I starve. And however tired or quiet I become, I tend to be shockingly more productive during this month.
Anyhow, this out-loud thinking jag was started by the relief I felt about 45 minutes ago by simply marking everything in my goo.gle rea.der 'read'. 415 items gone in one fell swoop. And while it's nice to be clutter free (even virtually), the fact that was the most liberating thing I've experienced in a long time really kind of saddened me.
Bahá'u'lláh teaches that true liberty consisteth in complete accordance with God's laws.

This is me... ready for the Fast.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */