Friday, October 9, 2009

I Would Like to Thank...

I remember watching award shows when I was a little girl - the Emmys and Grammys. And then MTV put one together, but that was cool because there was finally one targeted at my age group - and the nominees didn't (at least in the beginning) have to take themselves so seriously and it was fun and etc.

Now I think that there's an award show for e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

And it's boring. Generally. Particularly when the awards seem to no longer be celebrating good creative thought. To clarify: I realize that these shows recognize and showcase the talent of a myriad professionals - it's just that only the tabloid darlings make it to the primetime broadcast.....

Like even the red carpet just isn't exciting or special or glamorous when everyone and their mom seems to have one.... But I digress.

An award show that praises and celebrates innovation of all kinds - with a special prize for PEACE work? That my president, Mr. Barack Obama, just won for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples"? Hecks yes.

Naturally it's a classy affair - no paparazzi and the typical accoutrements associated therewith - but I sure would have liked to see that!

I am positive that to even be nominated and considered for such a presitigious award as the Nobel Peace Prize is an honor to be cherished for a lifetime. And I don't mean to make this into a blog of one-upmanship - but friends, I tell you truly, I am so happy and proud right now.
Addendum: NYT Editorial. Pretty much sums things up.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */