Sunday, July 19, 2009

Clearing Things Up...

So I've been trying to learn Persian off and on for maybe 5 years now (I'm slow, I get it...). Sometimes the phrases sort of get lost in translation for me - like this one: "Ou beman chap-chap negah-chard". Translation: "He/she looked at me left-left". This never really made sense to me. BUT! I think I've found the English equivalent - courtesy of dictionary(dot)com's word of the day.

*Other things I'm clearing up? My not-inconsiderable back log of W'sOD*

Word of the Day for Tuesday, July 14, 2009 (see - back log!)

louche \LOOSH\, adjective: Of questionable taste or morality; disreputable or indecent; dubious; shady.

*but here's the best part*

ORIGIN: Louche is from French louche, "shady, suspicious," from Old French losche, "squint-eyed," from Latin luscus, "one-eyed."

I guess a stink-eye by any other name is still a stink eye....


DISCLAIMER: The Persian language has no gender-specific pronouns.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */