Monday, November 9, 2009

Butterfly In The Sky...

As you no doubt know, Bayan and I have 'reading times' at least once per week. If you've ever read with a child (particularly a very active little boy), you know that it can often be a challenge to find material that is engaging and yet reading level appropriate. This is especially challenging for me because eight-year-old Bayan, the wunderkind polyglot that he is, is at a very beginner reading level in English.

Naturally, I'm always on the lookout for children's books [even if they have to go on my wish list: a.k.a. 'things to get when I go on vacation'].

I learned of this book "14 Cows For America" today in the NYTimes - and I'm honestly so intrigued... and my heart is really warm. {the original article is amazing, please read it}
It is the true story of how, in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, a Masai village in Kenya came to the aid of the United States.

...“because there is no nation so powerful it cannot be wounded, nor a people so small they cannot offer mighty comfort.” *Excerpted from Nicholas D. Kristof's article, link above*

Book information:
14 COWS FOR AMERICA
By Carmen Agra Deedy with Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah
lllustrated by Thomas Gonzalez

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */