Sunday, May 24, 2009

Creative Word...

Example of Arabic Calligraphy
So I took a calligraphy class this weekend, friends! It was so cool! I didn't do anything this fancy - and I also wrote in English - but I had a great time AND learned a little bit about the history of calligraphy. I learned that calligraphy came west to Europe from Arabic calligraphers - but then (and this is the cool proto-type globalization part) the idea to illuminate a text *similar to what you see above* was something that Christian (primarily Irish) monks did when they transcribed the Bible - and that art form traveled east.... So cool!
Anyhow, you all know how I'm a sucker for words and language - well, with calligraphy there's an aesthetic beauty that transcends the mere words on the page. Definitely a skill I'd like to hone as time permits.
*Image courtesy of LAUSD*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! I tried my hand (pun intended) at calligraphy a few years back and found I was no good at it. It's such a beautiful talent.

j'taimee said...

yeah, I had to try a couple of fonts until I found one that I liked and felt comfortable with. :)

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */