Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Time... And Past.

**Disclaimer: if you have a delicate constitution or are sensitive... you may want to take a pass. You won't hurt my feelings.**
The article: from Time magazine.

I imagine that by now this article has caused quite a stir in the States (and other areas where people regularly read Time). And I know that I'm wont to be an optimist - but I tell you truly that I will be disappointed if this doesn't cause a stir in the people who read it.

I've been thinking lately, though, about how this kind of ferocious misogyny isn't so uncommon - and neither is it limited to the developing world, to safely be "their problem".
As you will see in the video, the brand of misogyny marketed to westerners is actually worse, because we (as women) have been conditioned to hate, abuse, and disfigure ourselves....



I originally spotted this video on 'This Is Samimi-Extremie' [thanks for the head's up] and I've been sort of obsessed with it since then.

If I'm going to be perfectly honest (here goes nothing...) the stuff that you see here in this video [dude, just watch it already!] is pretty much the root of the anxiety I feel whenever I think about going home to visit the family. My family is cool - Orange County is murder on a woman's self-esteem, though. Suffice it to say that Israel has been very good to me. Not least because I don't have to look at tabloids and billboards any more....

So we'll see how long I last and in the meantime I invite you to start thinking constructively about the reality of women in your society - wherever you are - and to start thinking about the way you consume your culture.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */