Monday, July 14, 2008

Shabat Shalom!

I went to the movies with some friends this weekend.... We checked the paper for the proper time and theater - but when we arrived, the theater was closed! Ah, yes. Shabat Shalom! The good news is that we were all fit and capable young ladies and walked to the next theater (maybe 2 miles away) as there was also no transportation. Thankfully this particular theater was open (whew).
But even with this minor annoyance (and minor blister) - I think it actually really lovely how seriously Israeli's, specifically those in Haifa, take their religious tradtions - especially the Sabbath. I think we can actually learn a lot for the Jewish community, in this instance. I mean, if you have faith in God - and God asks you to do (or not do) something, you should take that seriously, yes?
Thoughts?

4 comments:

Vahid Yamartino said...

Yes. But Judaism has become something of a tradition based religion. They do the things that they do based on who they are. They have an extremely strong sense of identity, which, to me, trumps their faith in the letters of law--hence the secular Jews who defend the State of Israel. I think that this, on the one hand, lends itself to being extremely practical, and on the other, well, let's just say that some things seem, outdated. How they can strike this balance is beyond me.

montague said...

interesting. i grew up in Italy, where everything used to be completely closed on Sunday. now, it's not as strict anymore - some stores will be open on Sundays, day of rest or not! i wonder if the same will eventually transpire in Israel...

j'taimee said...

Ray:
I agree that the trick is to strike a balance, but I rather admire the strong sense of identity that Jewish people have. I don't know what it will eventually look like, but in the (my) effort to create a Baha'i culture, I think that there is much to be learned from the vast experience of the Jewish community in this arena - not that we necessarily emulate what see, but the fact is that they have created a religion based culture.

Amy:
I understand that some areas are more lax in their keeping of Sabbath - for example, when I was in Eilat recently, the mall was wide open (and thriving) on Saturday. Some areas in Israel are certainly more secular - and some have larger communities of Christians, for example, who clearly have their own traditions....

Anonymous said...

2 miles in plastic shoes was slightly painful - i have the blisters to prove it! but the movie we did end up watching was well worth the walk!
funny enough i was in herziliya recently and the mall there, on saturday, was like a circus... but maybe that's cuz it's more like expat-town there!

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */