Friday, November 19, 2010

Word On The Street...

Courtesy Dictionary(dot)com:

hallow \HAL-oh\, verb:

1. To make holy; sanctify; consecrate.
Hallow ultimately relates to the Old Norse helga, "health."

Image credit.

Some friends and I went for the opening night of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part 1) last night - and my reading buddy Bayan came, too. We got to do all kinds of cool field trip things like take the city bus and brave a crowded mall food court for dinner....

While taking the bus home, we all discussed our favorite parts of the movie. One of the things that impressed Bayan the most was that when [SPOILER ALERT] Voldemort exhumed Dumbledore to jack the famed Elder Wand, Dumbledore still sported his famous beard.

**Background information**
Nothing drives me so crazy as learning something - learning the truth about something - that is c.o.m.p.l.e.t.e.l.y opposite to what I had learned in school as a child.

I had been about to tell Bayan that your hair keeps growing when you die... and then I remembered that the fun-fact bomb I was about to drop was more of a fun not-so-fact. So at the last moment, I opted for the truth.

I started with all of the enthusiasm of 'knowledge is cool :: guess what!?!' and finished with a ho-hum "when you die, your hair gets longer because your skin goes away".

Awkward for the win.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */