Monday, June 15, 2009

Pausing to Reflect...


So today I had some uncomfortable thoughts.... Unfortunately, I'm not at a point where I can do more than think out loud at this point - but I'll let you in on some of the questions that occured to me today.
How much of a woman's 'value' is tied up in her perceived sex/sensuality? Or, on a purer level (I suppose), on how well she fits any role - her perceived ability to fit into another persons life.
In Ways of Seeing, John Berger posits that women are simultaneously aware of themselves as they are - and as they are to other people. He argues that, on a certain level, all women are aware of themselves as art - or, I suppose, of our commercial value. The problem with this level of commodification is how complicit we - as women - are in it all.
*Remember your "Gasp! I am NOT" the next time you judge another woman for wearing x.y.z*

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */