Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Planes, Trains & Automobiles... O My!


One of the things I appreciate most about being here in Israel - as opposed to Southern California - is the truly great public transportation system in place here. I'm willing to acknowledge that I think the transit system in Israel is rad because I'm from OC (where it is virtually non-existant) - as opposed to, say, NYC, or something - because these things are relative... but I think we can safely say it's at least decent.

So now that I've established that my experience with public transportation leaves a little something to be desired... let me tell you about my Thursday Night Adventures. It started as a lovely invitation to dinner in Nahiriyyih (ironically enough, what I consider to be the OC of Israel...). Some friends and I were going to enjoy some delicious Indian food - and have a bit of a field trip. Little did Nava or I know what an adventure it would truly become!

While other of our friends would be meeting us there - Nava and I decided to take the train into the city. I suppose I should tell you that that express train doesn't go directly to Nahiriyyih; you can either take a slower train, or, if you choose the express train, you can simply transfer at another station.
Nava and I decided that to avoid confusion, we would take the direct train - although it would be a little slower. ...to clarify, we had 1 ½ hours to meet our friends for dinner. Plenty of time, right? No. No it was not.

Let me summarize the entire kerfuffle for you: Nava and I spent almost an entire night getting to and from a dinner we didn't even join (except to say HI) - we were so late - and wound up going to another restaurant in the city, instead (big shout-out to Max Brenner!) where I had the most amazing tuna salad sandwich. But not so much Indian food....

Lessons? Learn to properly read a train schedule, and a touch more Hebrew than I presently possess wouldn't go amiss, either.... This has been A Day In My Life: thanks for joining.



3 comments:

montague said...

but the train ride is pretty, no??

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

j'taimee said...

Amy: You're right, the train ride is lovely! We caught the sunset over the hills and fields - and on the way home the half moon reflected over the Mediterranean. I actually had a really nice night... it's just a shame I can't more accurately read a train schedule!

Anastacio: Welcome! Thank you. :)

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */