Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thank You For Taking Action...


Most of you who know me know that I am a member of the Baha'i Faith. It is, after all, the reason I spent 4 glorious years living in Haifa, Israel and the reason why I continue to incorporate service to my community in my daily life. If you check in here periodically, or if you read the news... you'll know that the Baha'i community in Iran is under intense scrutiny and that members of that community face persecution daily.

One of the most tragic ways that the Iranian government seeks to cripple the Baha'i community in their country is through the blatant denial of access to higher education. Yes, you heard me right. All Baha'is are summarily denied access to college or university education.

Ever resilient, Baha'i students have managed to matriculate remotely through accredited universities in the United States and elsewhere - clearly via distance learning. [Three cheers for technology].

Now the government of Iran is arresting these students, their mentors, and even their lawyer in further attempts to quash their spirit.

So I have joined thousands of people, including Nobel Laureates Desmond Tutu and Jose Ramos-Horta, in a call for change. A peaceful request that all students in Iran be treated with justice, equality and fairness.

What number will you be?

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */